[hibernate-dev] Lucene moving to Java7

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 31 06:16:29 EDT 2014

> Since Hibernate OGM is now an implementation of JPA 2.1, doesn't it
> already require Java 7?

Good point; Not sure whether JPA 2.1 per-se really requires Java 7, but I
understand as an implementation we'd be "allowed" to require Java 7 as per
the spec guidelines. So far, 6 seemed sufficient for our purposes.

You could also decide to use Java7 for the build but not necessarily
> make use of Java7 features, as Search is an optional dependency. (but
> I also don't see a problem on moving).

Yes, I thought about this as well, but it makes a difficult story to
explain (depending on whether you use JP-QL or not, and depending on the
backend you use, you may be use Java 6 or 7). I'd rather move to 7
altogether then and keep things a bit simpler.

> I would like to encourage OGM to switch to Search 5 soon though: the
> HQL parser is aligning already, and some features we're working on in
> Search are meant to improve the user experience for OGM users
> specifically (HSEARCH-1119), not least it's the version meant for
> Infinispan 7, which OGM will need to support a GridDialect over
> HotRod. And solid performance improvements as usual ;-)

+1 :-)