[hibernate-dev] question on matrix testing

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue May 13 13:33:04 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Mahesh Gadgil <maheshgadgil at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I am running hibernate tests on SAP SYBASE ASE database currently. I am
> looking to get advice on what the best solution is to these problems.I know
> some tests that could not be run on ASE, have been skipped using
> SkipForDialect annotation in the past.The issues I am listing are for the
> remaining tests.
> 1. Some tests like below create a "User" table, which is not allowed by
> ASE. This can be fixed (thanks Brett Meyer) by adding @Table annotation and
> renaming the  table by adding and escaping double quotes as "\"User\"" and
> setting 'set quoted_identifier on' option on ASE. If this change makes into
> the source code, would this impact testing of other databases?
>   org.hibernate.test.cache.CollectionCacheEvictionTest

Yes, we should make this change upstream

> 2. Many tests like below create column names in smaller case but use names
> with uppercase in the sql that's generated. These tests fail on ASE because
> of its default setting of 'case sensitive'. This is easily fixed by setting
> ASE to ignore 'case' altogether. However I believe we need to be consistent
> with our naming conventions to avoid such problems.
> org.hibernate.test.annotations.entity.BasicHibernateAnnotationsTest  -----
> CATEGORY column

TBH I think that having case-sensitive (non-delimited) identifiers is
silly.  I don't plan on changing these in the tests.  I'd expect you to
alter the db to not use case-sensitive identifiers.

> 3. Some tests like below use defaults for datetime columns as
> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. This needs to be replaced with getdate() for ASE. Is
> there a way, this can be made db independent or dynamic?
>   org.hibernate.test.generated.DefaultGeneratedValueTest

current_timestamp is one of the few functions explicitly called out for
support in the SQL standard.   SAP SYBASE ASE does not support that?