[hibernate-dev] ORM build - IDE imports

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Mon Nov 10 08:26:24 EST 2014

Hi,

> > > To be honest I think I'd alter jpa-metamodel-gen to not be AP-based as
> > the
> > > best-case scenario.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean? Are you referring to the actual annotation
> > processor module
> > or do you mean that you want to statically check in the generated meta
> > model classes
> > needed for our tests in the hibernate-core/hibernate-entitymanager module?
> > I assume
> > the latter. Again, not a big fan.
> >

> No, I actually mean the former.  Probably as an alternative to the AP-based
> generation, I think a non-AP solution would be good

Interesting. For me the metamodel generation is a classic example for using
an annotation processor.

> After having talked
> to David a few times about this, I believe annotation processing is not the
> proper way to be generating these classes

What would be the right way then in your opinion?

> annotation processors that generate code that is then needed to compile

Not sure. IMO the annotation processor is designed for exactly that. In fact if you
run the processor as part of the main compilation it does generation and compilation
in the same build phase. I don't see the bad mojo here.

> > > It seems to me the only real option currently is to expect a full compile
> > > prior to import.
> >
> > Right. Something I would recommend anyways.
>
> Dunno here.  Often my initial touch point with a project is to check out
> the code and import it into the IDE.  And I think that I am not unusual in
> that sense, so I think there is a ton of value in that working smoothly.

Sure, there is value in making it work smoothly. However, I prefer to start the
command line build first after checking out the code.

> > That would be nice. Is there an issue for that? Did they agree on
> > implementing
> > it?
> >

> They said it was something they wanted to do.  I'll follow up to see if it
> was ever done.

Cool

--Hardy