[hibernate-dev] Tests on JDK 9, and other updates on ci.hibernate.org

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Sep 8 18:57:08 EDT 2014

On 8 September 2014 15:15, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 01:06:16PM +0100, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>
>> I have no strong preference, just preferring to keep it on by default
>> as it generally runs quickly enough;
>
> +1 for keeping things running per default (and it is a strong preference ;-))
>
>> But obviously we need a switch to turn it off for such cases as the
>> JDK not being compatible.
>
> Do we right now? Can we not just wait a bit to things how things are shaping up?
> I get the point of being pro-active, but do we need a Java 9 build right now?
> I'll let the asciisoc and JRuby guys chew a little bit on this and see what
> they come up with.

"Right now" can be flexible of course, but the JDK will come sooner
than usual. Having these tasks running doesn't necessarily imply that
our stuff will work fine but it means we'll have the knowledge to be
able to make informed decisions at lowest overhead (the earlier the
better).

I'd like us to be pro-active in terms of "our stuff will work on
Java9" but I don't want to spend cycles on debugging stuff on behalf
of asciidoc or JRuby to work on JDK9 too, so realistically we should
disable these and let other deal with it at their own pace.

Not least, we're engaged in a promise to the OpenJDK team to test
these builds, in exchange we get full attention to bug reports:
 - https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Adoption/Quality+Out+Reach