[hibernate-dev] Java 6, 7 and 8... oh my!

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Wed Apr 1 02:55:48 EDT 2015

Hi,

Can you share the exact exception/error you get when using the generated
model with Java 6? The required() attribute already exists as of Java 6 [1].

You should be able to make the generated code Java 6 compatible by either
setting the right options for XJC (the JAXB code generator) or in the worst
case by falling back to an older version of XJC. I had a quick look, this
setting looks promising:

    -target (2.0|2.1): Avoid generating code that relies on any JAXB
2.1|2.2 features. This will allow the generated code to run with JAXB 2.0
runtime (such as JavaSE 6.)

That being said, I think it'd be fine to require Java 7 for ORM 5. OGM,
Search and also many other libraries have done that move by now.

--Gunnar

[1]
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/xml/bind/annotation/XmlElement.html#required()