[hibernate-dev] Java 6, 7 and 8... oh my!

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Apr 2 09:19:04 EDT 2015

After considering this some more, I think moving to Java 8 as baseline is
just not reasonable yet.  And tbh I just do not see a compelling reason to
move to Java 7 as the baseline.  So if reasonably possible I would still
like to remain backwards compatible with Java 6.

The only hurdle I believe is this JAXB point.  I see 2 options...

1) Make certain our code is compatible with JAXB 2.0.  I am not well versed
enough in JAXB features between its versions yet to know how good of an
idea this is.

2) make our codr compatible with the newer JAXB version.  This works as-is
in Java 7 and 8 runtimes.  For use in Java 6 runtimes, users would need to
update the JAXB used in their JDK/JRE.  Doing so is a well defined process
using endorsed libs.  See
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/standards/index.html

I think option (1) is the way to go, but do not have a lot of experience
here.  What do y'all think?