[hibernate-dev] Today's release

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Apr 29 11:20:23 EDT 2015

I had originally planned on today's release being the first CR for 5.0.  I
am re-thinking that now.  Here is why...

1) If we were to ever start offering a typed API, a major major release
would be the time to do that.  However, we'd still have the "load() + proxy
interfaces" issue to decide a course of action on.
2) I have just introduced that Transaction changes after the first Beta.
It is probably prudent to have one more Beta to allow people time to try
out those changes and ask for changes.
3) I would still like to complete deprecating the Settings contract.  The
last piece there is the discussion I started earlier on the dev list wrt
its usage in SPI contracts (L2 cache, etc).  I would likely not get that
done today.

So I wanted to suggest that today's release instead be Beta2, with CR1
slated for 4 weeks from today.  Thoughts?