[hibernate-dev] ORM Documentation

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Aug 3 19:55:03 EDT 2015

So the documentation is getting along.  If people could start looking it
over that would be great.  If people are willing to pick up remaining
topics, even better!

So the 2 old docs (manual and devguide) are now 3 much more focused docs:

1) Hibernate User Guide - much of the information from the old manual with
lots of TLC and updates.

a) Chapters I think are in good shape: Architecture,
DomainModel, Bootstrap, PersistenceContext, Database_Access, Transactions,
JNDI, Portability.
b) Chapters that need some work: Locking, Fetching, Caching, Events,
Multi_Tenancy, OSGi, Envers.
c) Chapters that either still need writing or new major work: Batching,
HQL, Criteria, Native Queries

This stuff is in documentation/src/main/docbook/manual, although I expect
to rename manual to userGuide to better align.  To build it, run `gradle
renderDocBook_manual` and look in
documentation/target/docbook/publish/manual.

2) Hibernate Domain Model Mapping Guide - IMO mapping is such a massive
topic it deserves its own guide.  And this is it :)  I have put A LOT of
work into this content, but there is still tons to do.

a) Chapters I think are in good shape: Data_Categorizations,
Basic_Types, Composition, Identifiers
b) Chapters that need some work: Collections,
c) Chapters that either still need writing or new major work: Entity,
Natural_Id, Associations, Secondary_Tables, Attribute_Access,
Mapping_Overrides, Generated_attributes,
"read/write
fragments", Naming_Strategies, SQL_Identifier_Quoting,
Database_Constraints, Auxiliary_DB_Objects

This content is in documentation/src/main/docbook/mapping.  To build it,
run `gradle renderDocBook_mapping` and look in
documentation/target/docbook/publish/mapping.

3) Hibernate Integrations Guide - This is intended to document all the
major integration points with Hibernate.  So far it is just a chapter on
Service+Registry.  I have started keeping a list of topics to cover in
Hibernate_Integrations.xml.
Feel free to add your favorites!