[hibernate-dev] [Hibernate Search] Database back end worker

Flemming Harms flemming.harms at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 12:39:56 EDT 2015

Hey guys

I want to introduce myself and a new database back-end worker, me and
another guy have build for hibernate search. I already had some initial
talk with Sanne regarding if this could be interested to the hibernate
search project.

I have been working with Hibernate Search from some time and actually done
various small custom modification to search since 3.x, especial around
running in a cluster and indexing. To make a long story short when we
upgraded Hibernate search we thought it would be ideal to use a SQL
database as storage for lucene workers for 3 main reasons.

- The database was shared between the nodes
- The workers was persistent in case of a node crash.
- No master/slave

*In some way it’s very similar to the JMS back-end worker, where the user
also have to implement a MDB that process the workers. In our case they
will have to implement a job using something like quartz or a timer
service. *

*We are using JPA as persistence layer for the database, even it’s a fairly
simple entity we persistent, but it make sense for supporting various
databases and schema update out of the box. We have tried to make it’s as
easy as possible to set-up by minimizing the number of properties, and it’s
all configurable from the persistence.xml*

*The actually work can* be *find here
https://github.com/umbrew/org.umbrew.hibernate.database.worker.backend
<https://github.com/umbrew/org.umbrew.hibernate.database.worker.backend>*

*So based on this introduction and the code, is this something you could
use? (of course with the modification it requires to follow the design,
style, docs etc for the search)*--

Kind regards
Flemming Harms