[hibernate-dev] hibernate.org Awestruct within Docker

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 20 09:07:01 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I just pushed some changes to the hibernate.org site. The changes allow you to run
the hibernate.org Awestruct environment within a Docker container while still being able to
make changes locally. The obvious benefit is that in case of environmental problems
due to native extension compilation etc, only one needs to sort this out and all others
can then benefit by using an updated images.

So how do you do that? Check out http://hibernate.org/docker/README/. It comes down to
- You need a running Docker daemon
- Build the Docker image
  $ docker build -t hibernate/hibernate.org .
- Run the image
  $ docker run -t -i -p 4242:4242 -v <path to root dir of hibernate.org checkout>:/home/dev/hibernate.org hibernate/hibernate.org

Anyways, really the online docs should tell you everything. If not let me know and we iron
things out there.

What does that mean for you who still wants to run this locally? Nothing really.
The local setup still works, BUT I had to make some changes to the build file
(gems are not anymore stored relative to the checkout). To make sure all keeps working,
after an update, I recommend to make sure to have a CLEAN checkout.
The best way to do this is via 'git clean -fxd' (thanks Sanne for this one). Just make
sure to have no uncommitted changes.

Let me know if you like it in which case we can do the same for in.relation.to.

Happy awestructing
--hardy