[hibernate-dev] [ORM] Synchronization on AbstractLoadPlanBasedLoader

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Dec 14 11:25:29 EST 2015

Hi all,
while reviewing an improvement by Stale about reducing
synchronization, I'm having the impression that the synchronization
could be completely removed.

But there's a comment warning me against that, so for sake of safety
I'm merging the improvement without risking going too far:

 // synchronized to avoid multi-thread access issues; defined as
method synch to avoid
 // potential deadlock issues due to nature of code.

I tried to figure what "potential deadlock" it's referring to, but I'm
having the impression the comment might be outdated. So I've reduced
the contention to the only include the code block about which I'm not
confident.
By looking into git history, it seems the comment isn't related to any
specific fix but was included already when this class was first
created.

Would someone be able to point out what is the issue this is protecting against?

That should allow us to provide an even better patch, although I'll
apply the safe one for now so to at least have the benefits already
when wrapping of result-sets is disabled.

thanks,