[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Sprint organization

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Mon Feb 23 03:40:27 EST 2015

Hey,

Some pointers for those who haven't worked on the OGM code base in a while:

* Contribution guide: http://hibernate.org/ogm/contribute/
* Build instructions: in the readme.md in the root dir;
* You need to install CouchDB separately and configure the COUCHDB_HOSTNAME
env variable if you want to test that backend; By default only the code of
this module is compiled
* When running the CLI build, MongoDB is started and stopped automatically
via Maven. For running a test against MongoDB from within you IDE, MongoDB
needs to be installed and started separately.
* There are two types of tests in core: a) unit tests for stuff in core
itself and b) the "backendtck" which are high-level (i.e. Session/EM-level)
tests and which are executed for all backends. To run a specific test
against a specific store in your IDE, simplest is to copy it into that
project and run it from there.
* Packages are organized with the SPI/impl split at the lowest level (I was
talked into that ;). SPI is geared towards grid dialect implementors. The
split is not complete yet, at some parts "our" dialects refer to "impl"
classes from core. Anything not "spi" or "impl" is public API. Naturally,
that's not very much though as OGM's main user API is JPA/Hibernate ORM.
The main thing is the configuration API.

Let me know in case there is anything I can help with to get you started.

--Gunnar