[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Sprint organization

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Feb 25 06:10:38 EST 2015

On 25 February 2015 at 10:53, Davide D'Alto <daltodavide at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea of a separate module for shared tests, It makes sense for
> our usecase.
> I've never been a big fun of the OGM black magic.

I'm not a fan of the current state either, but there are many possible
improvements which don't need a separate module nor need to keep
copying classes around.

> Are there any reasons not to do it except that it will add a new module?
> I'm not really concerned about having modules in the project if their
> purpose is clear.

I like that a change in core is validated by tests in core, at least
so far as it doesn't concern specific integrations. That's a common
best practice for any codebase, and the least surprising layout of the
source code. I think "core" is fine, it's the integrating modules
which are evil.

We can talk about moving core tests to a different module, but I don't
see how that's going to improve things. After all, it's still a
different artifact.

For example, surefire now has some new options which it didn't have 3
years ago, and some of these now allow to "adjust" how the JUnit test
runners discover the tests. I'll play with that, although it only
skips the copy step: it won't improve on debugging needs.
For debugging, it would work fine OOB a long time back, but then you
guys added some conflicting resources across modules which break the
original idea ;-) I'll see if I can revert that without collaterals.

Sanne