[hibernate-dev] Branching strategy in OGM

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Feb 26 13:27:10 EST 2015

On 26 February 2015 at 18:11, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

>> > I don't see a problem with rewriting in this case. It's not master and
>> > it's
>> > not there for a long time. It's just a temp. working branch.

>> > Best is to send PRs to that branch you want them applied to: 4.1.2 ->
>> > master, 4.2 -> 4.2. I'll rebase your OGM-747 branch and merge to 4.2.
>>
>> That's not going to work. I just had a minor PR based on 4.2, but it
>> seems you rewrote 4.2 in the meantime, I had to nuke my branch and
>> rebuild it from ashes ;)
>

> Ok, if you consider rebase --onto as rebuilding from ashes ;)

It doesn't matter what exactly you do, what matters is that my clone
is inconsistent and I have no clue of what could have happened.

> Note that this branch basically was meant for Davide and me. Aren't you
> supposed to work on 4.1.2 anyways ;) ? I would say let's do the 4.1.2
> release tomorrow and if we then come to decide we need another 4.1.x
> release, let's do what you suggest if it really is such a big problem.

Thanks :)
But I didn't say it's a big problem. It's unexpected though, and I
think we had agreed that nobody would ever use push --force on the
reference repository, especially not as a standard development
procedure.