[hibernate-dev] Slot name for modules of Hibernate OGM

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 8 17:21:10 EST 2015

I just noticed that the main module for Hibernate OGM has slot="ogm",
while the various dialect extension modules use the "main" slot.

My understanding is that "main" should be reserved for the version
included in a specific application server version, so we'd better
avoid it to make it possible to eventually include OGM in WildFly and
still be able to differentiate versions.

The "ogm" slot also doesn't make it possible to use multiple versions,
which is ok now that there's a single release but won't be
sustainable.

Could we use the same label for all modules in a specific release, and
encode version in it too?
I propose using "ogm-{Major.Minor.Micro}".

Using the ".Micro" postfix might seem overzealous as micro versions
are supposed to be drop-in compatible but I'd rather be safe and be
able to be explicit; we could in addition provide an alias like we do
with Hibernate Search and Infinispan; this seems to be working quite
well so far.
Such an alias deploys a module which defines for say "ogm-4.1" should
look for "ogm-4.1.1": then applications can generally refer to
"ogm-4.1" and let the alias resolve it, or be more explicit if they
like so.