[hibernate-dev] Naming and "naming strategies"

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 16 09:15:13 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Also, I’ve been toying with the idea of naming strategy AOP:
>> - ability to lowercase all columns
>> - ability to replace . with _
>> - ability to replace $ with something else
>> - etc
>>
>> but I don’t see a good way to do this that would remain properly
>> understandable by everyone (incl. the same person 3 months later).
>>

> I can see this working by allowing naming strategy to accept "rules"
> (insert better name here) that define componentized aspects of the naming
> rule.  For example, consider:
>
> new AggregatedNamingStrategy(
>     AllLowerNamingRule.INSTANCE,
>     DotToUnderscoreRule.INSTANCE,
>     DollarSignToUnderscoreRule.INSTANCE
> );
>
> Though, I think some of these fit better in implicit naming and others in
> physical naming.

Also, we want to be very careful with stuff like "all lower naming rule".
For example, think of JPA's "quote all identifiers" setting.  In fact, to
circle back to a question Gunnar asked, this is one of the reasons I want
to have PhysicalNamingStrategy accept Identifier (with quoted/unquoted
flag) and return Identifier.