[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] *.next Jira versions

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 28 11:09:39 EST 2015

Hi,

> What's the suggestion for components?
>
> These I'd want to keep:
>  - documentation
>  - testing
>  - build
> I guess these never were much of a source of confusion?

Right, +1 for keeping these.
'tests' might belong here as well

> These I don't think are a good fit any more - unless we want a very
> precise granularity:
>  - optimizer (Any Optimizer is deprecated)
>  - directory provider (Except the MasterDP, they are all trivial -
> we'd probably focus on the more general IndexManager nowadays)

I would count analyzer to this list as well

> These I think are quite well defined, but I'm not sure if we're all on
> the same page:
>  - backend

I am not so sure about this one. What is 'backend' in your opinion. For me it is just 'engine'. Where
is the line to backend?

>  - query

So does this encompass just the actual query writing part (aka DSL) or would you include things like QueryHits, LazyQueryState, etc

>  - serialization

Agreed, that one is obvious

>  - spatial

As above, where do you draw the line?

>  - mapping

This one, I am not sure what it means. Configuration?

Personally, I'd rather have 'engine' as coarser component which includes things like
mappig, spatial, query. If you like to categorize further you can use tags.

> But remember that deleting unused components has consequences: affects
> a thousand closed issues.

Sure, but there is really no problem with that imo. Changing things like fix
version are a no go, but the component does not really matter.

> I'd rather accept that these will not be used much anymore.

-1 That's really not helping much. Also how do issue reporters know that we decided
not to use them anymore.

>  B) you'll have to accept that old issues won't show up classified
> nicely, in case you're searching for them or looking at per-component
> metrics over time..

Sure. Do you think that all is properly categorized right now? I doubt that.

--Hardy