[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH: Removing dynamic analyzer mapping?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Jul 3 05:14:41 EDT 2015

On 3 July 2015 at 09:53, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> Anyway, nice brainstorming but I'm not even sure how feasible it would
> be to do pre-processing without the IndexWriter :)
>
> Where/when is that pre-processing happening today? IMO we must start and
> consider non-Lucene backends in all our plans.

Today the tokenization (analysis) happens during indexwriting:

  indexWriter.addDocument( Document d, Analyzer a );

We don't do pre-processing, which is what I'm suggesting we might want
to do to avoid these problems, and like you say it might help with
other backends.
Keep in mind that the alternative backends we're aiming at are all
"Lucene based" though.. they certainly support performing the analysis
on their side so this isn't the only way.
If we decide to rely on their own analysis capabilities, we'll need to
be have these configured in some specific way to match our needs;
since today we have a nice set of annotations to define these options,
there's a risk of having the user to have to maintain duplicate
declarations.
So we'll either have the user configure them manually to match our
expectations, or we do pre-processing, or we generate configuration
files, or maybe we can directly "set" the configuration automatically.

What they all have in common, is the mapping fieldname -> Analyzer
Chain needs to be consistent, but we gave more flexibility away.