[hibernate-dev] Hibernate ORM - next steps

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Jun 8 17:53:58 EDT 2015

Here is a list of tasks, with dependent tasks nested under the tasks they
depend on...

   1. rework SQL generation & HQL parser
      1. change JDBC extraction to work by position, rather than alias
      2. port Hibernate Criteria constructs to JPA criteria, begin
      deprecation of Hibernate Criteria
      3. ability to override EAGER fetching with LAZY (fetch profiles, HQL,
      etc)
      2. rework annotation binding (Jandex, etc)
   1. extended orm.xml, deprecate hbm.xml
      2. discriminator-based multi-tenancy
      3. (?) extend JPA criteria API with fluent support
   4. merging hibernate-entitymanager into hibernate-core
   5. continue to fill out bytecode enhancement capabilities
   6. others, as we discuss

I already mentioned why (1.1) requires (1).  But I also moved (1.2) and
(1.3) under there.  I moved (1.2) because part of both the JPA criteria and
Hibernate criteria is the rendering of that to SQL.  At the moment the
native Hibernate Criteria contract renders the parts directly into SQL
fragments.  For the JPA criteria we currently render to HQL and then render
that.  Ultimately we want this to render to the AST.  WRT (1.2) we could
decide to simply port the Hibernate-provided Criteria pieces and fit them
into the HQL-rendering scheme short term.  I am a little leery of forcing
users to port their custom extensions just to have to change them again
later when we change how the rendering happens.  I moved (1.3) for similar
reasons.  This affects the SQL generation as well as the configuration of
the Loaders used to process the results.  Things all slated to be done in
(1).