[hibernate-dev] Hibernate ORM - next steps

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 9 10:11:08 EDT 2015

> If we come to the conclusion that tree transformation is vital, then yes,
> I don't see another way than going with Antlr3 (see my reply to the other
> thread on that). Apart from looking into alternatives to Antlr altogether,
> but I don't feel that's a realistic option.

Lets keep this discussion on that other thread then, since thats likely to
get very detailed.

In general, +1 for addressing the parser topic. The changes we have made
> for OGM feel a bit ad-hoc-ish to me and I think it makes sense to revisit
> this sooner than later to make sure we are (or get) on the right trick.

Can you explain this some more?  Ad-hoc how?  What is the wrong track?

Wrt. to other agenda items, has Java 8 support been brought up already?
> Apart from some "simple" things (like support for Java 8 date/time types),
> looking at APIs in the light of Lambdas seems very promising.

Its been brought up.  Jakub Narloch and others have brought up interest in
continuing that work beyond what hibernate-java8 does atm.  Obviously the
hurdle is jumping from Java 6 to Java 8 as the baseline for development.

Also the criteria API has potential. Things like the already mentioned
> QueryDSL or JOOQ seem much nicer on the user wrt. to query creation in a
> fluent style. Not sure how we could embrace that, but some usability
> improvements in that area would be nice.

Are you the one who brought this up in Amsterdam?  No one else really seems
to know what this is about.  Maybe you could make some specific proposals
so we could understand better what you are proposing?  I do see us
extending the JPA Criteria contracts for added functionality.  So what you
are thinking possibly has a hook there.