[hibernate-dev] Query handling : Antlr 3 versus Antlr 4

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Jun 11 10:50:19 EDT 2015

In the re-write case we will have to decide between 2 courses.

The problem lies in the fact that the listeners and visitors expect a tree
specifically generated from the grammar that generated them.  For HQL, say
we have one grammar named HqlParser (like in the poc).  The listeners and
visitors built from HqlParser specifically expect the tree from HqlParser.
The trees are typed.  Attempting to use trees from one grammar in the
listener/visitor from another grammar will not work.

As far as re-writing that effectively means 2 options.

If we want to have a second grammar for the "semantic query" we are going
to have to re-write the entire tree based on that second grammar.  I had
thought we might be able to mix them. But that was based on my Antlr 2/3
understanding where the trees are de-typed.  That approach will not work in
Antlr 4.  Its not a huge deal, but worth mentioning.

The other option would be to encode the "semantically correct" rules into
the original grammar (HqlParser) as a higher precedence than their parse
tree corollary.  This gets a little fugly.  Consider again the `select
c.headquarters.state.code` fragment.  During the parse phase we need to
accept any dotIdentifierPath as a selectable item.  We simply do not know
during parse what that represents.  So for the parse phase, a `selectItem`
rule (overly simplified) might look like:

selectItem : dotIdentifierPath;

In this approach we would re-write the tree "in place" during semantic
analysis.  So at some point we know that the given dotIdentifierPath
represents a reference to a persistent attribute.  So we'd alter that rule
to look contain alternatives for each semantic possibility:

selectItem : attributeReference | javaConstant | dotIdentifierPath;

The rules attributeReference and javaConstant would never match during the
parse phase.

Again, this is fugly imo.