[hibernate-dev] JTA synchronizations on WildFly

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Tue Mar 10 10:12:52 EDT 2015

So Gunnar, your workaround is fine today but will pose problems in the future if we decide that onRollback for ErrorHandler needs access to the session somehow to be able to compensate and undo the already executed operations:
- a closed session will do us no good
- there is a harder problem that Scott mentions below related to tx reaping in a different thread

Let’s try and find a solution for the first problem.

@Scott, I think what happens is the following:

- Hibernate registers a Sync when the EM is created (for the flush() callbacks and a few other things)
- Synchronization attached to the Hibernate Transaction objects are piggybacking on that initial Sync attachement
- Wildfly attach a “close session” Sync once it has the instance of EntityManager
- according to your rules, the close session afterTransaction Sync is called before the one Hibernate put
- that explains why Gunnar finds an already closed Tx.

But since Gunnar attaches its Sync when the Hibernate TransactionCoordinator creates the Hibernate transaction, which is when the EM is created, I can’t explain why the workaround works.

Emmanuel