[hibernate-dev] Usage of the Service pattern in Hibernate Search

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sat Mar 21 11:55:58 EDT 2015

For me its a matter of consistency.  Put simply a Service comes from a
ServiceRegistry.  That's consistent.  This idea that some particular
Service might come from here or there or this other place is not
consistent.  To me.

Now, I understand that there is likely a performance impact to this (Map
lookup) which I assume is likely more the driver of this question.  But I
prefer the consistency/readability when the performance is
equal/negligible.  However, were the performance impact big, obviously that
changes things.

That's my take and my means of weighing this for ORM.