[hibernate-dev] Java 6, 7 and 8... oh my!

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Mar 31 20:18:56 EDT 2015

I wouldn't disagree on requiring Java 7.
I probably wouldn't disagree with Java 8 either, after all we're not
removing older versions of Hibernate from any download location and
we'll still support and maintain some older versions. It would
actually be nice to have the latest ORM version to be able to
experiment with significant API improvements.

FYI Hibernate Search is requiring Java 7 already, and our CI servers
are already testing our projects with JDK9 as well.

That said, Java 6 is still being supported by some vendors. Not by
Oracle, but Red Hat and SAP will support it for much longer.

-- Sanne