[hibernate-dev] Release announcements

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed May 27 22:47:29 EDT 2015

At the moment we write release announcements using in.relation.to and then
announce in other mediums by posting that link.  We all agree (more or
less) that the wiki editor and rendering on there leaves much to be desired.

Brett had mentioned a long time ago about GitHub and its release
capabilities and tonight I went back and looked at them again.  I created a
more descriptive release announcement in GitHub then its default of just
using the tag message for this 5.0.0.CR1 release just to see how it worked
out.  Here are the 2 links for comparison:

* http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/HibernateORM500CR1Release
* https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/releases/tag/5.0.0.CR1

There are a few things to notice here.  First, I think we can all agree
that the second looks considerably better.  Also, there is a lot to be said
for these being closely available from the source repo.

Another thing to note is that the GitHub release has the ability to attach
random zips and tgz.  I have not taken advantage of that as I felt bad
uploading our 62 and 97 Mb release bundles here just for a PoC.  I do have
a task for myself post 5.0 to re-think how we build these release
bundles[1].  But ultimately whether it makes sens to attach them here comes
down to whether we think SF and its FRS has any advantage.  I think
download statistics will be the only discussion point there.

Anyway, moving forward I plan to move to this approach for release
announcements.

The only sticky point is the sourcing for the banners on hibernate.org.
What drives that?  RSS?

Thoughts?

[1] https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-9828