[hibernate-dev] Release announcements

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu May 28 06:16:49 EDT 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 10:05, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 09:47:29PM -0500, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>> At the moment we write release announcements using in.relation.to and then
>> announce in other mediums by posting that link.  We all agree (more or
>> less) that the wiki editor and rendering on there leaves much to be desired.
>
> +100, the editor and rendering sucks.
>
>> Brett had mentioned a long time ago about GitHub and its release
>> capabilities and tonight I went back and looked at them again.  I created a
>> more descriptive release announcement in GitHub then its default of just
>> using the tag message for this 5.0.0.CR1 release just to see how it worked
>> out.  Here are the 2 links for comparison:
>>
>> * http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/HibernateORM500CR1Release
>> * https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/releases/tag/5.0.0.CR1
>>
>> There are a few things to notice here.  First, I think we can all agree
>> that the second looks considerably better.  Also, there is a lot to be said
>> for these being closely available from the source repo.
>
> I like this approach in general and I agree there is a certain merit in having
> the announcements in the source repo, BUT :-)
>
> We are very close now with the migration of in.relation.to to awestruct. In fact I
> was hoping we could do the migration within a couple of weeks. Using the awestruct
> based blog, we get markdown/ascidoc for writing the blog entries and also a blog
> which matches it its style the current hibernate.org website. It also means we can
> continue our practice of announcing on the blog. The release announcements make up
> a considerable part of the blog content, I fear moving them to GitHub will make our blog
> to appear stagnant.

+1
Not least, it's an extremely lengthy process to change the habits of
your user population to go look elsewhere,
I think that any move to a different URL - no matter how shiny the new
place - would be damaging.

Of course if we could post a link and some metadata on github releases
automatically as well, that would be nice.

Granted that with the style of the current blog platform it might not
have such a big population of readers, but we hope the new blog to be
better at that. At very least I think we need to keep the new feeds
alive, they are not only fetched directly by readers but also
aggregated by other platforms such as the very hibernate.org

> My vote is to push this blog migration through - now!

Looking forward to it! TBH I don't even remember how the drafts looked like..

-- Sanne