[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search for Hibernate 5 - status

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Sat May 30 20:47:27 EDT 2015

I'm concerned about seeing issues like this one being reported:
 - https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-9832

I don't think it's acceptable we withhold an Hibernate 5 compatible
version of Hibernate Search for much longer.

I have a working branch of Hibernate Search "on hold" since a while
which is compiling and passing all tests successfully up to the point
of WildFly integration tests, as I could not find a way yet to run the
tests using modules and override the Hibernate ORM version (see the
wildfly-dev mailing list for details).

It was not viable either to keep this Hibernate Search branch
backwards compatible with the Hibernate ORM version 4.3 as included in
available WildFly releases.
Also since I was focusing on the WildFly roadblock so far, the branch
still needs a bit of work, for example I didn't face the OSGi tests
yet.

The "theme" for current development branch - Hibernate Search 5.3 - so
far was about the great new faceting improvements. As I discussed with
Hardy, we'd like to polish that branch for a release, so include only
necessary wrap up and fixing any reported regression, but focus
aggressively already on a new minor branch so that we could release an
ORM5 compatible Alpha in short time.
We could even consider working on a 5.3 and 5.4 in parallel.

Would you all be ok in a quick release - probably named 5.4.0.Alpha1 -
of Hibernate Search to be compatible with ORM5 and omit publishing the
modules for WildFly? That would be useful for WildFly 10 too, so they
can include the new libraries and ORM 5, breaking the cycle.

As a next step we'll see also about breaking those cycles permanently;
e.g. Hardy suggested to release modules and feature packs for WildFly
as an independent cycle, and I like that although we can keep that
decision for a post 5.4.

Thanks,