[hibernate-dev] SQM : Criteria translation design

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Nov 2 14:11:40 EST 2015

I mean that the JPA contracts in general do not expose enough information
to interpret them.  Take the one example I mentioned in my email...
Predicate.  The JPA contracts do not give enough information to know if a
Predicate is a BETWEEN, or a LIKE or a IS_NULL or ... they are all just
Predicate.  So SQM needs something else.

So I think we need to qualify the term visitor.  The visitor pattern is a
very specific thing.  Visitation, as in the pattern, is defined in terms of
the "visitable" (the Criteria nodes, here) and the "visitor" (the thing
that does walking and is passed into the visitable).  So that was the
"first approach".  We'd have CriteriaVisitor (the visitor).  Each
Predicate, Expression, etc would be a "visitable".  We'd have a
PredicateImplementor that accepts the CriteriaVisitor and returns an SQM
Predicate.  We'd have an ExpressionImplementor that accepts the CriteriaVisitor
and returns the SQM Expression.  Typical vistor pattern.

What you are describing is just a walker.  And yes, that is one of the
options I laid out: the "second approach".  So here we'd classify each
Predicate, Expression, etc possibility as a specific SQM "criteria
extension" type.  So rather than just a "generic" PredicateImplementor with
an accept(CriteriaVisitor) method we'd classify all of the understood
predicate types with an SQM interface that ORM would need to use in its
criteria impls.  So, e.g. in SQM we'd have a
org.hibernate.query.parser.criteria.BetweenPredicateImplementor
that exposes the information we need to interpret that in SQM
(testExpression, lowerBound, upperBound, isNegated).  In
ORM, org.hibernate.jpa.criteria.predicate.BetweenPredicate would need to
implement that contract.  And so on.