[hibernate-dev] Branching in HSEARCH

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Nov 5 09:11:45 EST 2015

Hi,
I realize it was a mistake to create it that soon, but it's too late
now: we have contributions being developed from that branch.

Keep in mind 5.5 will definitely need long term maintenance as it's
the version picked for integration in WildFly 10 and all depending
platforms, so it's not that there's any chance to avoid this branch as
might sometimes have happened in the past.
The good news: as long as they don't really diverge, applying a PR to
both is absolutely trivial.

One thing I don't buy: why is it confusing? This is exactly the same
process we've followed since many years, since ever we moved to Git.
Just normally we'll create it a bit later, as needed.. no big deal,
other than normally you might have to reopen closed JIRAs to fix the
versions. This might even sound better in that regard, and "as needed"
doesn't apply as we'll need this for sure.

Thanks,
Sanne