[hibernate-dev] Branching in HSEARCH

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Nov 5 10:02:39 EST 2015

On 5 November 2015 at 14:23, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I realize it was a mistake to create it that soon, but it's too late
>> now: we have contributions being developed from that branch.
>
> Who, where? I don't see any branch off 5.5 on GH. As said the branches
> are identical, so even if someone has developed off 5.5, it's trivial
> to rebase.

GH doesn't give you an overview of people's hard drives, and while
it's all trivial for us it's not trivial at all for people not using
Git on a day to day.

>> Keep in mind 5.5 will definitely need long term maintenance as it's
>> the version picked for integration in WildFly 10 and all depending
>> platforms, so it's not that there's any chance to avoid this branch as
>> might sometimes have happened in the past.
>> The good news: as long as they don't really diverge, applying a PR to
>> both is absolutely trivial.
>
> Only it creates useless work right now. Just see this discussion for instance ;)

Right. Just stop it ;)
I already admitted it was a mistake: you're right on that, but at this
point it's just cheaper to keep it, not to mention that we shouldn't
be deleting published branches from the reference repository.
As I said we'll need this branch soon enough, it's far less work to
merge a couple PRs on both branches than to re-base next week and go
fix all versions on JIRA issues and reconfigure Jenkins, etc..

Sanne