[hibernate-dev] Some proposals

Koen Aers koen.aers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 07:18:15 EDT 2015

Hey Steve,

Changing the mapping model as you propose will definitely have impact on the tooling code. Concepts like Table, Column and ForeignKey are present in the SPI that was devised to isolate the Hibernate runtime code from the Eclipse tools. However, this layer is not cast in stone and it also allows for some flexibility as changes in the core model can be adapted to be consumed by the Eclipse tools. So my gut tells me that it will probably be doable for the Eclipse tools code to work with these kind of changes. But tooling is anyhow supposed to be there to make work with the runtime easier and not the other way around ;-)
As for the impact these changes will have on the reverse engineering tooling, this will probably be more important. But since I am only working with this codebase for a relatively short period, I cannot assess with certainty if it would require a lot of rewriting or if it would be enough to just use the new core concepts with the old tooling principles.
Not sure if this answers your questions?

Cheers,
Koen