[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Usefulness of index sharing

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Sep 10 07:08:20 EDT 2015

Hi Martin,
sorry for the late reply, I found this email of yours in my spam folder.

On 12 August 2015 at 16:43, Martin Braun <martinbraun123 at aol.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I guess it's useful in some edge cases where the user wants to search
> different entities with one query. As long as everything is in the same index
> scoring is a lot easier (I don't know if it even works otherwise). I guess
> that could be done by indexing a common supertype, but sometimes that's not possible.

Agreed

> I don't get the filtering out part though. Doesn't the query API take care of that?
> If not, I think it should definitely be doing that (query for the actual class).

Correct, the user of Hibernate Search doesn't have to think about it,
but we still have to perform the filtering, which costs some CPU and
IO for each operation.. always nice if we can avoid it. Although
specifically filtering on a keyword is something Lucene is pretty good
at ;)
For example I'ld like to convert our Id encoding and our "class_type"
encoding into using DocValues, but we'd need tome performance tests to
validate that.

Cheers,
Sanne