[hibernate-dev] Regarding new Dialects

Brett Meyer brett at hibernate.org
Mon Apr 18 14:02:35 EDT 2016

Hey Vlad, our approach had been to accept new Dialects only if:

 1. Someone or some entity is willing to develop it
 2. Someone or some entity is willing to maintain it *long term*
 3. The community demands it (either through the ML, JIRA votes, noise
    on the forums or externally, etc.)

Too often, Dialects are created and abandoned.  Even worse, a Dialect in
ORM is used as an advertisement of sorts for the DB vendor.

If they want to create the Dialect, fantastic.  But unless #2 and #3 are
true, we typically ask that they release the Dialect on their own,
outside of the core ORM project.

So, the next step would be to create a JIRA, gauge the community need,
and start a discussion with Altibase to find out if this is a long term
commitment for them...