[hibernate-dev] People need an Hibernate Search release to match ORM 5.2

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 11 13:07:08 EDT 2016

Hi,

What's still missing from releasing 5.6 (compatible with ORM 5.0/5.1),
labelling the ES support as a "tech preview"?

I'd hope we could do such release rather quickly after you re-focus from
OGM to HSEARCH? Calling the ES support a "tech preview" will allow us to
release something a bit less polished than we'd usually do it (e.g. we can
omit some corner cases as not supported yet for the time being), thus
saving some time. It has been a while since I last looked at the ES bits,
but I'd expect it to be ready for that in rather short time?

Then we can do a ORM-5.2-compatible Alpha release of HSEARCH 5.7 quickly
afterwards, while continuing to improve the ES support, based on user's
feedback (which I expect to come in more frequently once 5.6 is Final
rather than Beta). I'd prefer to avoid parallel branches of development as
far as possible, as the required merging drains energy we better could
spend otherwise.

--Gunnar