[hibernate-dev] Hibernate ORM version for WildFly 10.1

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 11 14:04:54 EDT 2016

Hi Scott,

> As part of bringing ORM 5.1.1+ into WF 10.1 or 11, we need to first
> ensure that ORM 5.1.1 is completely *compatible* with ORM 5.0.x.

How does this ensuring look like? Is passing the WF test suite enough, or
are there further criteria? If identifying changes to the API is what you
are after, tools such as Japicmp (see https://github.com/siom79/japicmp)
may help.

It would be great to have some sort of formalized guideline here, because
otherwise there's potential for frustration on both sides. E.g. Sanne and
me are waiting for an update, as it will make our lives for HSEARCH/OGM
much easier, whereas you may feel pressurized to do some update you are not
100% comfortable about). Happy about any pointers if there are such rules
already somewhere.

That said, doing the 5.1 upgrade in WF 10.1 would seem as the sensible
thing to me, bringing new ORM features released quite a while ago to WF
community users and allowing to hone/harden them there as needed. So I
still haven't lost the hope that it might be happen :)

As a user, I'd be surprised otherwise and be wondering why I had to resort
to the ORM module ZIP (see
http://in.relation.to/2016/07/07/updating-hibernate-orm-in-wildfly/)
instead of WF coming with the newer version OOTB.

Thanks,

--Gunnar