[hibernate-dev] How best to eliminate the Javassist dependency from Hibernate applications...

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 08:53:56 EST 2016

As modular classloading environments become more popular (e.g. WildFly,
OSGi, Openjdk Jigsaw), it is more important that applications can
include their own version of Javassist classes.  This is not possible if
the application classpath also needs to include the Hibernate (needed)
version of Javassist.

My question is how would/should this be accomplished?  Some proposals
are below:

1.  Clone the Javassist runtime classes into Hibernate ORM and maintain
them as a fork.  I don't think this is practical but still wanted to
mention it as a possible solution.

2.  Stop using the parts of the Javassist api that generate bytecode
that depends on the Javassist runtime classes.  I have no idea how hard
this would be.

I don't think we have a jira for this yet, although we have talked about
it occasionally for years.

Any volunteers to help?

Scott