[hibernate-dev] Spambots can break the gdCaptcha we use for the forum

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 4 10:50:11 EST 2016

I thought we had agreed to try what that linked post calls "Newly
Registered Users Group"?  Specifically:

<quote>
phpBB 3.0.6 also sees the introduction of the "Newly Registered Users"
group. This feature, which may be enabled via the User Registration
Settings page of the Administration Control Panel (ACP), allows the
administrator to define a minimum post count; if a user is below this limit
they will be a member of the Newly Registered Users group. Permissions may
be set on this group much like any other group -- an example use is to
place the Newly Registered Users group on the moderation queue for all
forums. The user is automatically removed from the group when they reach
the defined post amount. Be aware that this feature is not retroactive --
users who registered prior to a board's upgrade to phpBB 3.0.6 will not be
placed in the Newly Registered Users group, regardless of their post count.
</quote>

I get the "not retroactive" part, but really no solution is going to help
us retroactively.