[hibernate-dev] The stable docs are outdated

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 7 09:17:29 EST 2016

First, that would indicate that something is wrong with the ORM release
task.  The `stageDocumentationForUpload` task does create a symlink for
stable pointing to 5.0.  Clearly something is broken there.

Second, is that really the intent for "stable"?  When we first starting
doing "stable" the intent was to have stable URLs for bookmarking etc.
What you describe, and how we actually handle it (at least on the ORM
side), is more of a "current".  As we fix google indexing and revamp the
ORM docs I think this is the perfect time to reconsider all of this.  Like
if this is really meant to point to current docs, why are we calling it
"stable" instead of "current" like the rest of the sane universe? ;)

Also in terms of ontology, I'd prefer to invert the URL pattern here a
bit.  So currently we have `hibernate/stable/{project}/...`.  This causes
problems in terms of releasing because every project's release has to do a
sftp/rsync to the root Hibernate directory (`hibernate/`) on the doc server
to update the "stable" symlink.  Which is dangerous.  I'd prefer that we
invert that to instead be `hibernate/{project}/stable` (or better yet
`hibernate/{project}/current`).  We can keep the
`hibernate/stable/{project}/...`
symlinks; they'd simply point to `hibernate/{project}/current` and never
even have to be updated.

So, using ORM e.g., we'd have:

* hibernate/orm/4.3 (real directory with docs)
* hibernate/orm/5.0 (real directory with docs)
* hibernate/orm/current (symlink currently pointing to hibernate/orm/5.0)
* hibernate/stable/core (static symlink pointing to hibernate/orm/current)