[hibernate-dev] 5.1 tentative release date

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 14 08:44:37 EST 2016

Hi Steve,

One thing useful to have for OGM would be a generalization of the
hbm2ddl tooling so we can re-use it for managing NoSQL databases. Not
all of them are "schemaless", e.g. Cassandra works with a fixed
schema, and while MongoDB largely is schemaless, we still want to
create stuff like indexes in the database.

I took a look and found that SchemaManagementTool as a pluggable
service already goes halfway into that direction. The issue with it is
that I cannot replace the list of exporters used by SchemaExport nor
the list of tool targets used by SchemaUpdate. Having a pluggable
service allowing me to customize that with an OGM-specific
implementation should do the trick.

As per some comments in the code, SchemaExport seems to be in some
intermediary state, where the ops are not executed directly through
the targets passed to SchemaCreator/Dropper but are read into String
arrays which are then passed on to separate exporters. I suppose part
of that work should be to consolidate this and basically follow the
same approach as used in SchemaUpdate?

Another facet is that for some OGM grid dialects we'd need another
representation of commands than Strings, as not all the backends have
a DDL but expect API invocations for that purpose. For that it'd be
required to change Target#accept(String) into accept(Object) so we can
pass some kind of command object. File exports would only work in a
limited fashion, but we could live with that. Schema creation/dropping
bound to the SF lifecycle is what I am after here.

I'd be willing to work on this once we agree on the general approach.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

--Gunnar