[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Mapping of embedded

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 19:55:39 EDT 2016

Hi all,

So after having discussed this issue with Emmanuel:

1/ is correct. It's the behavior we expect considering the ORM behavior. If we want the postal_code to be nested in homeAddress, we need to use @Column(name = "homeAddress.postal_code") or @AttributeOverride(name="zipCode", column=@Column(name="homeAddress.postal_code").

See the note here: http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/ogm/5.0/reference/en-US/html_single/#d0e9677

[2/ current situation] was incorrect and needed to be fixed

[2/ after PR 728] is still incorrect

In this case, to have the postal_code nested in addresses, we would expect the user to use an @AttributeOverride to set the column name to addresses.postal_code.

So this is what we need to fix to be consistent:

List<Address> with Address>@Column("postal_code")
-> not supported

List<Address> with Address>@Column("addresses.postal_code") - probably not very useful in practice - or an @AttributeOverride(name="zipCode", column=@Column(name="addresses.postal_code") on the addresses property,
->
{
   "addresses": [
      {
          "country": "Germany",
          "city": "Paris",
          "street1": "1 avenue des Champs Elysees",
          "postal_code": "75007"
      },
      {
          "city": "Rome",
          "street1": "Piazza del Colosseo, 1",
          "type": {
              "name": "primary"
          },
          "postal_code": "00184"
      }
   ],
}

If we want to change that in the future (default to nested), we need to wait for OGM 6 and we will need ORM to keep the path information, which is not the case atm. So if we want to consider it, we probably need to ping Steve et al. about this.

We need to fix this before merging PR 728. Davide, do you take the lead on this or should I? I'm on vacation next week.

We also need to add more tests for this behavior.

--
Guillaume