[hibernate-dev] Only blockers should be fixed in Hibernate ORM 5.0 branch

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Mar 18 15:55:11 EDT 2016

> On 18 Mar 2016 14:34, "Gunnar Morling" <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>>
>> Stupid question probably: Why do we maintain 5.0.x at all, now that
>> 5.1.0.Final is out? Is it that EAP or WF will continue to be using
>> 5.0.x? If so, why is that, couldn't they move to 5.1?
>
> EAP will be supported for many years so that requires us to support 5.0 for
> very long,  and I guess that's why Gail would prefer to limit backports to
> the essential (minimum risk of unwanted changes)

I understand about EAP, but why not start the support cycle with the
latest and greatest at that time? There is a 5.1 Final, so why take an
earlier one?

Not my call of course, just sincerely curious.

> But even beyond product requirements, as an OSS project first I would be a
> disappointed user to see support dropped so quickly from a recent major
> release: I suspect abandoning 5.0 already would not be popular at all.

I rather see this on the level of major versions: The 5.x family is
kept alive, and as a user I'd track minors as they come out, expecting
that they are (largely) compatible and upgrading is not too hard.

I know we are not super-strict about SemVer (though I'd love that),
but I'd assume most users wouldn't expect an OSS project to keep alive
several minors of the same major in parallel. Well, at least I
wouldn't expect that as a user ;)

> Personally I would see us support 4.3 too but I understand we'd need more
> help for that to be feasible so that's life.. Hard to define what's the
> right threshold for sure, so it's up to those who do the job to decide.. But
> dropping 5.0 seems way premature to me to the point that I'd rather slow
> down other R&D.

Tbh. I'd even better understand the wish for further 4.3.x bug fix
releases than for 5.0.x as it's a different major.