[hibernate-dev] HHH-9440 Support for Java 8: parameter names

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 31 08:05:16 EDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 1:22 PM Lovro Pandzic <lovro.pandzic at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  I am confused how you are "mind mapping" PreparedStatement parameters and
>> entity construction into the same conversation.  We are not instantiating
>> entities based on PreparedStatement parameters....
>>

> I'm not sure I understand you, I haven't mentioned PreparedStatement
> parameters anywhere.

Well you mentioned Java 8 parameters names in the subject.  I have no idea
what "Java 8 parameter names" might mean outside of the support added in
Java 8 for named parameter binding.  So if that's not what you mean, what
do you mean?

Based on some of your other replies, perhaps you are confusing "parameter
names" (PreparedStatement) and "column names" (ResultSet)?

What you propose is to delay the entity instantiation and create the entity
>> instance from after we have the hydrated state.
>

> Yes, the requirement for this to work is that before calling constructor
> you have all arguments and target parameter names available.

Right, which precludes lazy loading; which is my point on the Jira.