[hibernate-dev] [ORM] EhCache 3 and JCache

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri May 20 03:54:30 EDT 2016

Hello guys,

(I meant to send that almost a month ago, apologies Louis).

I’ve met Louis Jacomet from Ehcache at Devoxx France and we discussed how to restart the progress around JCache and EhCache 3 integration.
Louis is willing to step up to make these a reality but will need a bit of help to ramp up knowledge wise. Let me list the key subjects.

== JCache

I think Sanne has the info somewhere in his brain, what is the status of the current code? Any detail on what was missing? It would be nice to drive this one home.

== Ehcache 3

Ehcache 3 has been out recently and it would be nice to get an integration. The API is very different.
There are a few options:

1. make the JCache support extensible to build upon it and use Ehcache specific features when necessary or useful. Ehcache 3 is a JCache implementation.
2. create an new module dedicated to Ehcache 3 and go for it from scratch basically
3. change the Ehcache module and move it from v2 to v3

1. might be the conceptual nicest but it’s unclear how doable that is
2. vs 3. is about migration path for users and whether we consider it a “breaking change” in a 5.x series

== Doc and pointers

As I said, Louis know Ehcache well but needs some input to step into the magic world of second level caching in Hibernate ORM. Things like where is the code, how to test it, is there a doc or an example of a well written one etc.

Can someone give him a hand?

Emmanuel