[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search and Elasticsearch 5 support

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 07:59:46 EDT 2016

Hi!

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Yoann Rodiere <yoann at hibernate.org> wrote:

>    - And, perhaps most importantly, support for defining analyzers in
>    elasticsearch.yml has been dropped. This means users have to resort to
> the
>    index settings API to define their analyzers. So this breaks our
> automatic
>    index creation / mapping generation feature: we put mappings just after
>    creating the index, but since the index was just created analyzer
>    definitions will be missing and the mapping will be rejected. See
>    HSEARCH-2434 (in the comments) for details.

The other important point (mentioned in the issue but I think it's
important to outline it here) concerning the analyzers is that they are now
defined per index: there are no global analyzers, you have to define them
for every index using the analyzer. It is totally different from our
current approach and make defining them manually (and maintaining them)
even more cumbersome. Thus I don't think we can consider defining them
manually as an option.

If we want to support Es 5, we need to provide a way to define these
analyzers in HS and make HS post them to Es.

--
Guillaume