[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Neo4j integration dependencies

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 06:20:18 EDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> On 19 October 2016 at 10:44, Yoann Rodiere <yoann at hibernate.org> wrote:
> > About backward compatibility, I guess there are two options:
> >
> >    - If the last released version of the artifact used to contain only
> the
> >    embedded mode, we can use maven relocation
> >    - Otherwise, we can advertise this artifact as deprecated, remove
> almost
> >    everything in it and add the relevant new artifacts as dependencies.
> >
> > Or am I being too naive?
>
> Seems very reasonable. Maybe I'm naive too :)

Personally, as it does not sound like a good idea for users to keep the
dependency on the aggregated dependency, I would simply break it and had a
prominent note in the migration notes and in the release announcement.

I think it's also a good way to advertise the new possibility of using
Neo4j as remote and make the users choose the best solution for them.

>From my experience maintaining applications for years, I always prefer to
migrate early to the right solution when there is a compelling reason to do
so and a clear logic in it.

And +1 for the 3 different artifacts.

--
Guillaume