[hibernate-dev] HHH-11042 Count distinct tuples

Gail Badner gbadner at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 17:13:03 EDT 2016

Hi Christian,

I've been following your discussion on HHH-11042 and thinking about your
solution. I am concerned that some dialects do not treat null the way you
describe. SQL Server has a property that changes how null is treated:

SET ANSI_NULLS { ON | OFF } [1]

[1] mentions that in a future release it will not be possible to set
to OFF, but for now, this is a concern.

I also found [2] which says:

"For the DISTINCT keyword, null values are considered to be duplicates of
 each other. When DISTINCT is included in a SELECT statement, only one
NULL is returned in the results, regardless of how many null values are
encountered."

Sybase may be similar. I'm not sure if there are other dialects that
could be affected.

I agree that the dialect should be able to override the behavior.

Regards,

Gail

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188048.aspx
[2] https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187831(v=sql.105).aspx