[hibernate-dev] 6.0 - ResultTransformer

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sun Sep 11 22:49:45 EDT 2016

Another legacy concept I'd like to revisit as we move to 6.0 is the
Hibernate ResultTransformer.  I'd argue that ResultTransformer is no longer
needed, especially in it's current form.

Specifically, ResultTransformer defines 2 distinct ways to transform the
results of a query:

   1. `#transformTuple` - this method operates on each "row" of the result,
   allowing the user to transform the Object[] into some other structure.
   This is specifically the one I see no value in moving forward.  Between
   dynamic-instantiation, Tuple-handling, etc I think users have the needed
   capabilities to transform the query result tuples.
   2. `#transformList` - this one operates on the query result as a whole
   (unless scroll/iterate are used).  This method at least adds something that
   cannot be done in another way.   But I'd still personally question its
   overall usefulness.

Does anyone have an argument for continuing to support either of these?
Personally, I propose just dropping the ResultTransformer support
altogether.