[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH-2358 "fields" attribute in Elasticsearch search results is being ignored

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Wed Sep 28 10:07:26 EDT 2016

On 28 September 2016 at 15:23, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You won't be able to use these sorts of features:
> https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/curr
> ent/search-aggregations-bucket-datehistogram-aggregation.html
> https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/curr
> ent/search-aggregations-bucket-daterange-aggregation.html
> which are used very often when dealing with dates.
>
> I don't think storing dates as strings is a viable alternative.

Right. I didn't know about these.

> IMHO, the choice is between:
> - using _source as we currently do it. I'm not sure allowing people to
> directly inject data into Elasticsearch and bypass Hibernate Search is
> something we can support in the long run so I think it would be acceptable
> if we document that we don't expect people to index documents directly (or
> at least that they should carefully follow the HS indexing format - which
> looks like an acceptable thing).
> - using fields and be aware that we will get back UTC values from
> projections on these fields

... and the latter is a no-go for ZonedDate et al., since the point of
those classes is to preserve timezone/offset.
Maybe we could just use "_source" when we really need to, but I doubt
there's an elegant way to do this, so I guess we'd better not.

Anyway, it seems we're down to only one acceptable solution... Unless
anyone has another view on all this, I'll index ZonedDate/etc. as dates and
use "_source" for value retrieval, and I'll close HSEARCH-2358 as "Won't
fix".

Thanks for the insight!

Yoann Rodière <yoann at hibernate.org>
Hibernate NoORM Team