[hibernate-dev] [feature request][discuss] smoother serializers integration?

Romain Manni-Bucau rmannibucau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 08:39:01 EDT 2017

Well here is how I see things:

1. mappers: until model is different from the jpa mapping it doesn't make
much sense and with microservices and failfast trends it doesn't make as
much sense as it was some years ago - plese don't assume I agree but just
sharing what I see.
1.bis. you get the same issue with mappers if you think about it but just
add a layer after hibernate to reject that responsability. Worse case you
give it to the end user which prevents can prevent libraries/tooling
2. Mapping is already a DTO and to not create 10 DTO models per domain
entity you will likely get the same issue there. You can move back the
responsability to the mapper but once again same issue.
3. The nice thing with this GraphVisitor proposal (name is likely very bad)
is you can just bypass not initialized instances, something like:

return (HibernateProxy.class.isInstance(value) &&
HibernateProxy.class.cast(value).getHibernateLazyInitializer().isUninitialized())
        PersistentCollection.class.isInstance(value) &&
!PersistentCollection.class.cast(value).wasInitialized();

4. I also get a hard time to figure out why defaulting in case of a
detached entity is bad. Take the getSingleResult() example: spec throws an
exception if no result if found but most of usages are to wrap it to return
null instead cause it makes the code more fluent.

Also not sure how it can be different from data access best practise. Here
a usage i'm thinking about - the one I hit currently -:

// -start tx
Collection<MyEntity> entities = em.createNamedQuery("query with
fetch")....getResultList();
// here I loaded all the graph I need, what is still lazy doesnt need to be
loaded at all
// -end tx
// here the collection should just be as any DTO since it is no more in JPA
land

Now assume you use a DTO - which is the proposal, code will be:

Collection<MyEntity> entities = fetchEntities();
Collection<MyDto> dtos = map(entities);
// here is MyDto has the representation of a relationship it will not lazy
load it but can still be called

What does it mean? There is still a gap in the JPA usage of entities with
hibernate and normal java code (openjpa for instance doesnt have that issue
since when the entity is detached it return what it has and doesnt try to
use any connection).

>From my point of view it affects the serializer case, of course, but also
the resource management (lazy connections are really really vicious and
rarely controlled). So at least a mode where the fetched value becomes kind
of no more aware of JPA would be great.

Hey Romain,