[hibernate-dev] NoORM IRC meeting minutes

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 2 06:37:05 EDT 2017

Thank for the IRC logs. To comment on the Jenkins vs 5 Executors "trick":

if it's too limiting +1 to remove this but please always allow a
website release to allow "right now", sometimes it's really urgent and
even waiting a couple of fast jobs is very stressful.

A simple solution - and actually how it used to be in the very
beginning - is to configure all website jobs to run on the master
node, and no other jobs to allow running on the master node.
Incidentally this simplifies security as this implies the website
build doesn't have to be rsynced from the slaves, as it's being hosted
from this same machine.

The reason we changed this was that some more jobs were requiring to
run on AWS, like some ORM tests needing to access the RDS hosted
Oracle databases. With more slaves running on AWS now, that reason is
no longer valid so we could return to the situation in which the
master node is dedicated for website and super-light jobs exclusively.

In most cases the reason to avoid one slave to run two (or more) full
integration tests in parallel was isolation problems, from TCP port
usage to using each other's local database; we could try Docker again
if someone is willing to spend some time on such research, but bear in
mind it's not suited for all our jobs - for example some need to run
performance sensitive tasks, some others just don't have enough
physical memory to run two jobs concurrently so we still need some
form of coordination to avoid running multiple jobs on the same
machine.

Incidentally our "master node" was also scaled to a slightly higher
machine class to be able to run those ORM tests (more RAM in
particular); if we pick the simple road of having it build the
websites at most, we could re-scale it down again.

Thanks,
Sanne